Wednesday 4 July 2012

care to shareee a rickshaw

Aye dil mushkil hai jeena yahan,
Zara hutke zara bachke ye hai MUMBAI MERI JAAN!
I love MUMBAI! Being born and brought up here I cant imagine staying anywhere else in the world but in MUMBAI. But, these past few months have changed the equilibrium of my thoughts they are now shifting to the other side, as in, I feel like settling somewhere else because the feeling of “being helpless” is increasing day by day staying in Mumbai or in India.
I don’t want to list down a set of problems that life in MUMBAI have or anything because Mr. Pritish Nandy has jotted them down amazingly in his blog on times of india

I particularly want to draw the attention towards the local rickshaw scene. Especially the so called “SHAEREE RICKSHAW”.

Is this concept made for our good or does it trouble us more?
M sure we have supporters for both side. But the thing is, 1stly the rickshaw prices are out of control. Ealier in 2005 it was simpler when the minimum fare started with 9 and then on u just vould read the meter and pay 1 rupee above it or less then it I don’t remember which one. But then the prices started hiking day by day and month by month. Also the readings and the prices are no more connected. You have to keep a meter card in your pocket to be sure they are telling the correct price. When I bought one card the prices changed again.


Anyways, the major problem is this SHAEREE RICKSHAW funda. Although it works like a service for people staying far off from stations but it is painfully irritating for someone who doesn’t want to share a rickshaw. Around a month ago I wanted to go to Bandra Kurla Complex from Bandra station and was shocked by the change of scene at Bandra station. Earlier there used to b a queue for rickshaws and now there is just SHAREE and what’s more irritating is when you ask them that I don’t want a SHAREE rickshaw as I m running late (they don’t don’t move the rickshaw till they get 3 passengers),  they would reply saying that nobody will come which means your helpless and on the mercy of some rickshaw walla to put a eye on you (which is annoying) and agree to take you as a passenger (but now being a girl you yourself wont want to board that rick).
This is the scene in Bandra east now lets go to Bandra west station. This time I myself willingly caught a SHAREE rickshaw along with my mom. There was a problem that there were not many ricks available as comparatively, in west the rickshaws get full and leave fast. After 5 minutes I got a rick and as my mom was not aware that I took a SHAREE she shouted at me when a 3rd stranger came and sat. But finally the rickshaw walla (driver) started the ride. He took a U turn and then he took a left few minutes later which leads to Gaitey galaxy theatre where my mom pointed out to me that he broke a traffic rule as it was a no entry. Near gaitey he took a 4th passenger and then again he got into another no entry from SV road to the National college ka lane. 3rd breach of traffic rule. Later he took a right from MMK college and then a left which leaded us to somewhere opposite the famous chappal wallas right besides National college on the main Linking road. In all this ride the driver were very rough in driving also I kept on asking him if he would drop us near KFC he kept saying yes. But then he was dropping us near national college to which I rebelled and then toh he broke the limits of breaking the traffic rules he drove from national college till the KFC point on the wrong side of the road. I mean WOW!!! Isn’t it amazing that we get caught even for not wearing a helmet and charged fine and the rickshaw drivers drive as if the roads are their father’s property. Plus NO OFFENCE TO ANY PARTICULAR COMMUNITY I RESPECT ALL RELIGIONS AND COMMUNITY , but all the major rickshaw wallas in bandra east and west seem to be muslims. It maybe a coincidence or it may be that the major portion of the less educated boys in their teens (from bhairampada and naupada) are choosing rickshaw driving as their profession for the decade. But, they don’t give any damn respect to the traffic police plus they behave insensitive even if you tell them that your 52 yr old mom has a knee problem and same is the case with the road vendors in linking road. They openly challenge you and try threatening you. You have no other choice but to feel helpless and opt to avoid a fight but why should we remain silent???
At times I wonder what’s more bad getting fined for driving without a helmet or feeling helpless in such a situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment